clinical experience in O&G (PGY1 or later): 9pts for 18mths
O&G prize winner: 5pts
research – first author: 1 pt for 1 pub, 2 pts for 2+ pubs
presentation at ASM – first author: 0.5pts per paper (max 2 pts)
professional development course: 1 pt per course (max 3 pts)
2 years as a rural GP (RA 2-5): 5 pts
‘personal achievement’ section: up to 5 pts
– volunteer work, indigenous work, leadership activities
so, working backwards, what could i realistically do?
- suck up to the people who allocate rotations for intern and resident year to get allocated O&G rotations.
- try to win that prize lol
- do lots of posters and research papers, to eventually work up to being the first author
- if all fails, become a GP and work rurally for 2 years (and do the RANZCOG diploma)
- some kind of O&G volunteer work but what? hang out at that indigenous womens bit of royal women? read the close the gap stuff
- something that RANZCOG can brag about – raise money, raise profile
- make a deal with a current OB to do their scut work in exchange for something useful to me
- care for rural women – improving the safety of home-births – home-birth-in-a-box kits
- reducing the reasons to fly women to tertiary hospitals – i.e. anything that reduces the effect of obesity, pre-ecclampsia, twins, epilepsy, diabetes etc
- or a ronald-mcdonald house for rural preggies – could be similarly sponsored by some brand that wants to target pregnant women.
- or training-in-a-box for rural midwives (self-paced, online / accessible), like the ‘where there is no midwife’ hesperian books
- profile and persuasion
- is there an expensive product that could be made available more cheaply?